Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner/solo practitioner of a mobile Equine Veterinary practice for 14 years. Accomplished rider.
8634083

my horse got a bad rope burn to the back of his rear legs just

my horse got a bad rope burn to the back of his rear legs just above his hoofs. I have been cleaning it and put anitbacteria cream on it for a week now. there is a crust of skin on it and I my mom told me she has seen him limping a bit. I did not notice him limping until tonight. There is no heat in the leg and I can not see any swelling . Do I need to have a vet come out this week end or can I wait until Monday?
Category: Horse Management
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 5 years ago.
Hello,Customer

I'm sorry to hear about your horse's condition. I need to ask you a few questions in order to help.

1): What breed is your horse?

2): How long ago did the injury occur?

3): Is he limping on both legs, or just one?

4): On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being unable to put weight on the leg, how lame would you judge your horse to be?

5): Is he eating, drinking and acting normally otherwise?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

he is a palomino

about one week

it looks like just one leg

about a 1 he stand on the leg ok.

He is eat and drinking nomally.

Hi,Customer

Thanks for getting back to me.

Based on the information that you've given me, it sounds as if it would be fine to wait until Monday to have your horse seen. If he were to be having difficulty walking, or not eating due to excess pain, etc., then an immediate vet visit would be in order. From your description, it sounds as if this is more of a superficial type of injury that may be developing a secondary bacterial infection. I recommend continuing your current treatment, especially keeping it as clean as possible. Your vet may prescribe some antibiotics following a close examination of the injury, and perhaps a bandage to prevent it from outside contamination. But until the exam, keep up your good work, and it should all turn out for the best.

Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

-Dan
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience: Owner/solo practitioner of a mobile Equine Veterinary practice for 14 years. Accomplished rider.