Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

He has developed 2 large masses or bumps in between his

Customer Question

He has developed 2 large masses or bumps in between his front 2 legs, or on his lower chest. they started off soft like water balloons and are getting larger and harder even thought we have given him Dex and Lasiks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the horse?
Customer: he has a severe heart murmur and my concern is if the could be related
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 month ago.
Hi
I am sorry your horse has these issues. It is possible that the heart murmur maybe be related as we can see fluid accumulating under the skin (oedema) as a result of heart failure, however I would expect him to be unwell too.
The other condition that springs to mind is that the lumps maybe haematomas. These are common in the chest area and often start of feeling very watery then harden as the trapped blood clots and hardens. These develop from a knock or kick and a small blood vessel bleeds under the skin or within the muscle and causes blood to accumulate under the skin. If large or painful they can be lanced and drained but will resolve with time if left. Definitely worth a vet check to ensure the heart is OK.Good luckDr Dan