Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

My horse has overreached and bruised the heel bulb of his

Customer Question

My horse has overreached and bruised the heel bulb of his left inside front foot. It is very sore to the touch!! I have tge bulb wrapped with butacort sweat on a 4x4 quauze covered w/ vetwrap, both front legs are wrapped in leg quilts& standing bandages. What are your reccomendations on treat this type of injury
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has been 24 hrs. Since this question was asked, I am not I terested in this service and I best not have any money taking out of my MasterCard for this service, I would appreciate if someone give me a call @(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dr. Gardner replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I hope I can be of assistance. I apologize for the delay in your response, first of all. Now, let's address your horse's hoof. The heel bulb is much like the fleshy part of the palm of your hand, just under your thumb. It's fleshy and tender. I'd recommend getting a boot to put on him, to keep this tender tissue protected while the bruise resolves. Secondly, I would recommend doing warm water Epsom salt soaks with him for ten minutes two to three times a day, as he will tolerate it. This will help ease the tenderness and inflammation. I'd give him bute by mouth once or twice a day to help with pain and inflammation, as well, for at least three or four days. If this regimen is not enough to relieve his pain, he may need corrective shoeing to assist with relieving the pressure on the heel bulb until the bruise is resolved. However, getting a protective boot on there should really help him quite a bit. After you soak his foot, let it dry completely. Then cover it with a few 4x4 gauze squares and duct tape them on and then apply the boot over that. That application should provide enough cushion and protection to allow this bruise to resolve while providing your horse the comfort he needs. Again, I do apologize for the delay in the response. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.