Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice
94743805

7yr appendix, UTD on shots. We have had him since Oct 2015,

Hello Pearl, 7yr appendix, UTD on shots. We have had him since Oct 2015, with no apparent allergies or otherwise. He's got a nasal discharge now since Oct 17. It was both nostrils. Treated with Tucoprim, and after that started right on Uniprim. He was given that for 3 weeks+, and now is seemingly better, but still little discharge from one nostril for the last week (Nov 6-today, Nov 14). Vet came on Nov 11, and said that his lungs are clear. She suggested that I get an xray at Equine Specialty Hosp in Burton, OH. The discharge is quite minor at this point, but still there. I think he may have been allergic to the antibiotic, as he was itching a lot. Also banged his head in the middle of all this (I can tell by scrapes of hair off skin) and he then had a nose bleed, very minor, for three days. If he was allergic, then would he not be affected by the antibiotic? What do you think? Thanks much, c
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Marmy
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Marmy?
Customer: Otherwise healthy and eating. Out with other horses and they have not gotten infected by him.

Hello, this is Dr Weaver and I hope I can help you and your horse out. The nasal discharge you have been seeing, is it only one nostril, and always the same nostril? Is it on the same side as the nose bleed? Is there any odor coming from that nostril?

There are a few things to think about with one sided nasal discharge. The first thing is a sinus infection, I wonder if maybe the head trauma contributed to this development? You may want to try another round of a different antibiotic, because maybe this bug is resistant to the Uniprim (even if it made him itchy, it still should have been effective). Sometimes these can be hard to clear with antibiotics alone, and unfortunately I have seen some of these that required surgery, either a flap or a trephine lavage placement in order to resolve the infection. The trephine can be done standing, it's basically a hole drilled into the sinus so you can then lavage the sinus from the outside.

Other rare possibilities include tumors, fungal masses, or an ethmoid hematoma in the nasal passage causing a chronic discharge. If this discharge isn't clearing up with a different antibiotic, your next step would be to get an x-ray and endoscopy of the upper airway performed to figure out what is going on.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you much Dr. Weaver. I have a vet coming on Friday, who will hopefully prescribe a different antibiotic. He might be fighting it on his own, as the discharge appears less and less each day, praise God!

I wonder if that head trauma was bad enough to cause bleeding for 3 days, then he my have had a small internal sinus fracture or just deep soft tissue damage, and that can take a long time to heal. Glad he seems to be slowly improving!

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thanks Emily! These are all good things to mention to the vet when he comes. I appreciate this! Have a good day! You were indeed very comprehensive in your answers.

Hopefully things are improving!

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, if you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have further questions regarding this topic please feel free to message me here, thank you,

Dr Weaver