DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

Can an indent on my show ponies neck be fixed with

Customer Question

can an indent on my show ponies neck be fixed with injectables or something similar
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the pony?
Customer: nothing is actually wrong with her - she has a cosmetic dent in her neck and for showing purposes I was wondering if this could be fixed
JA: Where does the pony seem to hurt?
Customer: she isn't hurt at all - just has an indent on her neck - like a prophets thumb mark and I only want to know if it can be treated with injectables to be fixed
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the pony?
Customer: no - thats all - other than she is very expensive willow croft breed and I would like to get the 'dent fixed if possible and was wondering treatment options
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Those Prophet's thumbprints as theu are often called are pretty common in horses. They should not affect your show career as the equine world is pretty familiar with them and knows they are not a defect.

I am not aware or have never heard of a cosmetic surgery to fix these. I think the risk of injecting something in there and causing scar tissue to form or an infection is too high. You could take something that really is not a true problem and make it into a significant problem.

Here is the "story" behind these indents in the neck....maybe this will help change your perspective http://myequestrianworld.blogspot.com/2011/08/prophets-thumbprint.html

I hope this helps. Take care.