DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

My 13 year old quarterhorse mare has one swollen, semi

Customer Question

Hi, my 13 year old quarterhorse mare has one swollen, semi closed nostril, she is constantly snorting like she is try to clear her nose. She started this apx 3 hours ago. Other than the snorting she seems normal, is there anything I can do to reduce the swelling?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Red
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Red?
Customer: She lives a laid back life and is in good condition with no previous issues, so no not really
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. I am sorry you have had to wait a few hours for a response. I am an equine veterinarian with 10 years experience. I'd like to see if I can help you to help Red out. I am sorry to hear that she has this swelling on her nostril.

You didnt mention what area of the US or what country you are in....do you live somewhere that this could be a rattlesnake bite? If so you have likely seen the swelling progress quite a bit. You need to call a vet out immediately if you think there is a chance it could be a snake bite situation.

If not...it is more likely a bug bite or some kind of allergic reaction. Do you see any wounds or markings on her nose?

Some people keep pain medications like bute or banamine on hand. You need to get them from a veterinarian. If you happen to have one of those, you can give one or the other to help with the swelling. If she will let you hold a cold cloth or ice pack against it this might help as well. Usually bug bite reactions will gradually recede over a couple of days.

If the swelling is getting progressively worse or she is having trouble breathing, you need to have her seen by a vet quickly. They can give more aggressive medications to help stop the swelling.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.