Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

Ho i have just bought a 5 ye old irish draught and it has a

Customer Question

Ho i have just bought a 5 ye old irish draught and it has a black sore around the girth area. These sores are individually going down the back of her legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the horse?
Customer: She appears to b Eb B3 sore around the area
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The area is sore to touch and raised
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These sores that you see may be caused by an abscess growing due to stress over the change in environment or infection brought on by stress or another bacterial invasion. Since they are painful, it is important to apply hot compresses to these areas every 4-6 hrs to help draw the infection to the outside. Your vet can lance these lesions if they are abscesses to release the pus and then flush them daily with peroxide or betadine. If that is not possible, start your mare on antibiotics such as Pebicillin G twice per day with the dose that is recommended on the label and apply hot packs and cover with Betadine until they will resolve.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****