Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice
94743805

I have a pregnant mare. We are not sure when she is due, as

Customer Question

I have a pregnant mare. We are not sure when she is due, as she is a rescue and we didn't know she was pregnant. Anyway, we introduced a gelding to the herd tonight and she is bumping her belly against the round pen panels where he is at. She's holding her tail way out, she's sweaty and her girl parts are spazing. So, my question is - could introducing a gelding cause her to go into labor?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the mare?
Customer: No. she is healthy and when we had her vet checked on June 24th they estimated her to be at about 200 days. As far as I know she is a maden mare
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I am sorry I wasn't on yesterday and your question didn't get answered. To answer your question, no, introducing a gelding should not cause your mare to go into labor early. It may make her stress out, but not any more than normal when a new animal is introduced into the herd. It sounds like your mare may have been experiencing labor, or she may have just been uncomfortable and got a little crampy as the baby was moving around, and didn't actually go into labor. That is normal towards the end of a pregnancy. Given her unknown breeding date and the best guess your veterinarian gave you in June, she could be at the end of a normal pregnancy, and maybe it is just coincidence that she went into labor on that day, or is about to go into labor any day now. Did she foal yesterday? How is everything going today? Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr Weaver

Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 2 months ago.

Just following up, how is your horse today? My goal is to provide you with excellent service, if you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, please feel free to use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic, you can requst me again. Thank you

-Dr Emily Weaver