Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

I have a 30 month old quarter filly that I have been riding

Customer Question

I have a 30 month old quarter filly that I have been riding since 2 yrs old. I rode her daily for 60 days 30 minutes a day. She has swollen knees that I think is fluid. She is halter quality, but not with those knees. She does not limp. I would like to eliminate this look. What to do? I have stopped riding her.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning, and thanks for your question.

I’m sorry to hear about your current problem with your filly. Based on your description of her condition, I would agree with you that what you are seeing is fluid accumulation within the joint capsules. The major reason for such fluid accumulation (joint fluid) is inflammation, and the response that you are seeing by applying the DMSO mostly confirms the presence of inflammation, as this is a common treatment for inflammatory conditions. Of course, inflammation can be caused by many varying conditions. I have a few questions I would like to ask of you, so we can get a better idea of what may be occurring.

1): How long ago did you first notice the swelling?

2): What has been her main diet for the last year?

3): How long has it been since you last rode her?

4): How long have you been applying the DMSO?

Many thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.