Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

Our gelding who is 16 years tripped while riding and cut his

Customer Question

HI
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: Our gelding who is 16 years tripped while riding and cut his knee. A vet checked it out that day and said he was ok, and gave him pain relief. About a week later I called the another vet, would said we need to get rid of the dead flesh. he cut back the dead skin and scrapped out the flesh in the wound. The next day it was infected and swollen to triple size. He came back and gave antibiotics and pain relief. Our horse could barely lift his leg. We treated it for a couple of weeks with no real improving and after a while the vet said there was nothing he could do and we should put the horse down. We live remote and there are no other vets in town. We took it upon ourselves and we have been treating it ourselves for 4 months. The knee swelling has reduced, he is no longer on pain relief, he is not lame, he has not proud flesh, but the wound will just not heal. Is there anything I can do to encourage the healing of the wound. Its about 5cm in diameter.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the bleeding a lot?
Customer: not anymore, but does have some fluid coming out but this has reduced too
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the?
Customer: No
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry your horse has this non-healing wound.

Horses can be amazingly resilient and even the most horrendous wounds can heal eventually with time. I imagine if the initial trauma and subsequent wound occurred over the carpus (knee) area, its continued movement is delaying the healing.

The priority is that he is comfortable, and pain free which you report, so this is great. With regards ***** ***** up the healing process there are a couple of things you could do. Firstly, just wait and eventually it will heal, cold hose it daily to keep the area clean and to minimise swelling which may occur from time to time. Secondly, you can combine the previous management with the liberal use of Manuka honey, it should be readily available in Australia and this can have phenomenal effects on wound healing and skin regrowth. It can be used liberally, medical grade is best but shop bought should be OK. Just be mindful of the potential attraction to flies.

Good luck

Dr Dan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan M.