Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

My 16 yr old mare has swelling on her belly on one side and

Customer Question

My 16 yr old mare has swelling on her belly on one side and the swelling goes to her teat on that side. What do you think?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This swelling could be caused by many things but the most common would be an abscess which is an infection in this area. This would appear painful and warm. This would need to be lanced by your vet. For now, apply hot compresses to this area every 4 hrs which will help draw any infection to the surface where the pus will drain out. I would hold off on antibiotics until your vet can examine this area. Flies are a common vector in this area to inject bacteria under the skin causing this abscess. It is not serious unless it turns out to be a large tumor, which is also possible.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 days ago.
Hi Becky,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brandy. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta