horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country

Mild founder in a 5 year old gelding,what should l do and

Customer Question

Mild founder in a 5 year old gelding,what should l do and will he be ok for work in the future?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 22 days ago.

Hi there. I am sorry to hear about Xploit's founder. The best thing to do is to continue to keep him in a small enclosure, but to bed him deeply to make him more comfortable on his feet (ideally knee deep in straw or shavings). The hay should be fed in a hay net so as to take his weight off his front feet. He should get some pain medication, this may require calling a veterinarian out to confirm the diagnosis and prescribe some phenylbutazone. This is also an antiinflammatory, which will help mitigate the inflammatory process that is causing the founder. They can also take some xrays of the feet to determine his prognosis for work in the future, as the degree of sinking or rotation of the coffin bone within the hoof will determine how well he can do in the future. Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have any further questions!

Expert:  horsemed replied 16 days ago.

Hello just wanted to follow up on Xploit and see how he is doing? Please let me know if you received my answer and if you have any further questions.