Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice

She is getting lines of tough skin that is in welts that are

Customer Question

She is getting long lines of tough skin that is in long welts that are breaking open and her skin is detaching and falling off, with the hair.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Quest, 22
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about quest?
Customer: She is eating alfalfa almost exclusively and has for years. I have taken it away and am feeding beet pulp and equine senior.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 22 days ago.

Hello there, this is Dr Weaver, I am an experienced equine vet and I hope I can help. A few questions for you, How long has Quest been suffering from this skin condition? Where on her body are the skin lesions located? If you are able, can you send me some pictures of the lesions? You should be able to attach them here.

-Dr Weaver

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
neck, back. There seems to be something in the hay. A vet here looked at the hay and there some sort of little yellow flower . Another person using this hay had to put her horse down. Hay is trucked in and this is the first time I have bought this hay, as there was none to buy here and regular supplier was getting this trucked in as they didn't produce much this year. I will send a picture.

There are certain plants that horses can eat (exmple: red or aslike clover) that can cause photosensitiztion of the skin. I wonder if there is something in this new hay that is causing this? Horses experiencing liver disease can also develop photosensitization. With her lesions being on her neck and back, that may be possibility. Can you keep her out of direct sunlight for now and stop the new hay just in case? It is best to have your vet out to check her bloodwork to see if she has a liver problem, and look at her skin lesions, sometimes they develop secondary bacterial skin infections and may need antibiotics, or steroids to stop the reaction.

There are some other things that may also be going on, like an autoimmune disorder, or some type of deep bacterial infection. A biopsy of the skin lesions may be needed to determine exactly what is causing this reaction though.

I hope that helps and that she is feeling better soon, let me know how she is, and please send pictures when you can!