Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice

I have a 15 year old we quarter horse mare who had a 5 way

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old we quarter horse mare who had a 5 way west Nile yesterday morning the vet said it was ok to ride her yesterday so I did for an hour, pleasure show riding. Today when I went out to feed she was very slow moving with a very low headset and looks really stiff tonight she seems alittle worse then this afternoon. She worries me but she eats all her food and pees and poops so im don't know why she just moves so stiff and slow. Her temp the 4 times I've taken it since this afternoon has been 101 then once 101.4
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 25 days ago.

I am sorry for the delay in getting your question answered, and am sorry to hear about your mare's problem, and hopefully she is doing better by now. It definitely does sound like she is having or had a reaction to the vaccine. What you describe is very typical. Do you have any bute or banamine that you can give? Usually one or two doses of an painkiller like that is all it takes to help them get through the reaction and then they are usually back to their normal selves in a day or two. If you notice swelling (bigger than a tennis ball) at the injection site, or she is so stiff she won't move, or stops eating, then call your vet right away. You may want to discuss splitting her vaccines in the future to figure out, what in the 5 way she reacts to.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

-Dr Weaver