Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

I have a 13 yo QH mare that began experiencing weight loss

Customer Question

I have a 13 yo QH mare that began experiencing weight loss about 3 weeks ago. We dewormed her with Equimax. Severe weight loss continued and the mare began having liquid diarrhea about 6 days ago. We took her to the veterinarian's office where she stayed for three days on IV fluids. She has been dewormed again with Quest plus. She has had a course of Neo-Norm. She has been getting Equibrew, sucralfate, IV dexamethasone, and Biosponge since Tuesday with very little relief. We brought her home on Friday. I put her back on fluids at home yesterday because the diarrhea has continued and her appetite has decreased. Do you have any other suggestions? We don't have a definitive diagnosis, but some possibilities are IBS secondary to encysted strongyles, lymphoma, or some sort of malabsorption. Most of her labs looked OK, but she did spike a white count, her glucose tolerance test showed that she is not currently absorbing nutrients, and her albumin is low.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for your sweet Kala is that she is suffering from an intestinal lymphoma. With this disease, the lab work will be normal and the only way to diagnose this is to take a biopsy of the intestinal tract. The prognosis for this disease is very poor, I am sorry to say. It is not a good sign that Kala has not responded to the treatment so far and if this were merely a parasite issue or even IBD, this would have helped.

Talk to your vet about this as a possibility....I hope I am wrong....

This LINK may explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had mentioned in my original post that lymphoma was on the list of possibilities, I was hoping to find out if there were any other medications that you all could suggest to try for the diarrhea to see if anything would help. She has only been receiving treatment since Tuesday and I'm hopeful that more time will finally give her a chance to respond to treatment. I'm willing to try homeopathic remedies if there are any herbs or essential oils that would help with diarrhea or appetite stimulation. I've read that peppermint is a good appetite stimulant, would that be OK to try? Also, would loperimide be something worth trying for the diarrhea?

Loperamide can be given at 0.2 mg per kg PO every 12 hrs to help stop the diarrhea. We will often give Metronidazole as an anti protozoal agent and anti diarrhea medication. You did not day that this has been given but it is one we use a lot in equine medicine. I am not that familiar with holistic medications but have also hear that peppermint can be effective. I worry, however, that the severeity of Kala's diarrhea may not respond well to holistic meds. I am assuming that there have been many fecal smears looking for parasites and protozoa and coccidia and treatment is based on the results of this. When nothing shows, we often give Metronidazole that often will be effective.

Hi Monica,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kala. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hi,Kala is not doing well. I had our vet back out this morning. Kala's appetite has gone down and she continues to have diarrhea. Our treatment does not appear to be helping. We gave her some anabolic steroids today to boost her appetite I'm going to keep bolus in fluids until Friday, the we wil be euthanizing her if she doesn't make some drastic improvement.Thanks for following up,
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 29 days ago.

Oh, Monica...I am so sorry!! I am keeping positive thoughts for your sweet Kala but very worried as I am sure you are....

I hope things can turn thoughts and prayers are with you, Monica, and your precious Kala!