Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

Overnight my mare, on the underside between her front legs,

Customer Question

Overnight my mare, on the underside between her front legs, has developed a fold of skin that hangs down around a couple inches. A soft lump was felt inside the tissue. Then, the next day the fold of skin was much smaller and no lump could be felt. Could this be a
fatty tumor, or what do you think? She has no discomfort when it is felt or squeezed.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 28 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

In most cases in older horses, they can develop edema which is a fluid filled space due to gravity placing this fold of skin and lump in this area that you describe. This is not unusual and is not harmful to Little Miss Country. It is not a lipoma but a bag of fluid from gravity secondary to something going on in her system. I would certainly keep an eye on this mass if it returns and it may help to run blood work to be sure that her metabolic issues are normal. This fluid is coming form somewhere but is most likely not anything serious.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****