Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My horse his name "Megdam" • Arabian horse breed • His old 3

Customer Question

My horse his name "Megdam"
• Arabian horse breed
• His old 3 years
• He have Acted strange bad habit behavior , as chews with moving lips , tongue and reducing and extending the neck , I have some videos to see how behavior .
• He is eating normally .
• When we put feed he eat and leaves the habit behavior
• Note : this behavior do not cribbing (not wind sucking) as you know the wind sucking behavior different my horse behaviors
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have some videos to see how my horses behavior , Please let me know how to upload videos ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please check and see videos upload to see how my horse behaviors .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My horse have problem with Acted strange bad habit behavior , as chews with moving lips , tongue and reducing and extending the neck , I have some videos to see how behavior , please see attachment videos to look how to my horse behavior?
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 9 months ago.

This is a Flehmen response. This is a behavior that horses perform to assess the scent of other horses. By doing this behavior, pheromones are delivered to the vermonasal organ which is an organ that helps the horse identify the physiologic status of other horses. For example a stallion (and sometimes geldings) will smell the urine of mares to determine if they are in season and likely to be fertile. Mares will do this to identify their baby, horses of both sexes do this when investigating a new territory or an area that has been marked by another horse.

It is a normal behavior and nothing to be concerned about. It tells you that your horse is trying to get information on the horses around him.

Here is a link to an article that explains it in great detail.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/26597/flehmen-response-in-horses

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for answered , but my horse not as same diagnosis , my horse he behavior different as you diagnosis . ,
Hope to look the videos which I upload in this page attachment my questionhave videos , you can see and look to get Idea how my horse behavior ?
Please let me know .and answer me .
Thank you .

The middle video (one where he is in the stall with shavings) looks most like a flehmen response. The other videos appear to be a horse that is lip smacking because he is bored. Another possible cause of lip smacking is abdominal pain from GI ulcers, colic, impaction, entrapment, etc. If he is otherwise healthy and eating well, defecating normally and then ulcers or boredom would be my first two differentials. Has he been examined by a veterinarian? How long has he done this behavior?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
More than three months ؟
Please let me know exactly to diagnosis my horse behavior ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To answer your question about my horse How long has he done this behavior?
My horse he done this behavior more than 3 three months , and still behavior continuous...
Please let me know exactly to diagnosis my horse with this behavior ?

Is your horse eating normally and acting normally aside form the lip smacking behavior? Does he have any other health issues that may be causing him discomfort?

What is his housing situation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My horse eating normally , when he eating he does not that do the lip smacking , he behavior normally and he has a natural blood analysis , but we do not under stand if he has other health problem , apparently it seems natural.
Hope to help me about my horse problem behavior ?
Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My answer your question about What is his housing situation?
Thank you