Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

When I picked up her back leg last night to clean her hoof,

Customer Question

When I picked up her back leg last night to clean her hoof, she started peeing a little bit, Then the vagina muscles kept contracting. The pee was cloudy. Can horses get urinary tract infections?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I didn't see anything.
JA: What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Buttercup. She's 20.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about She 's?
Customer: I lunged her first and she was kind of sluggish.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

yes, horses do get Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) but it dos not sound like this is what your sweet Buttercup has. This clousy urine is normal in horses and if she did have a UTI, she would be straining to urinate. It is very normal for horses to have cloudy urine because of calcium carbonate crystals that are normal in the urine. If she shows any other signs, then have your vet evakluate her urinary tract.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****