Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.

I have a 19yr old who has a runny eye and nose most of the

Customer Question

I have a 19yr old morgan who has a runny eye and nose most of the time. Our vet says he has an allergy and gets a blocked nasal passage. I believe this, however my question is , is there a decongestant i could give him ? I keep a flymask onhim all the time, and told to use a antibiotic 2 times a week. I worry about the antibiotic so often. He has had a gradual issue with this for a couple years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 month ago.

Good Morning!

I am sorry to hear about your Morgan’s eye conditions. Based on your description of what is occurring, I, too, would agree with your Vet’s diagnosis of a blocked duct. The duct she/he is referring to is known as the nasolacrimal duct, and has an opening on the inside corner of the eye, and then the duct continues and drains through the lower inside portion of the nostril. It is not uncommon for these to be blocked, especially with an eye infection and also in an older horse. I have a few questions I would like to ask you, so I might get a better idea as to what is going on, and the best approach in finding a solution.

1): Does the antibiotic that is prescribed go directly into the eye, or is it an oral medication?

2): Has your Vet ever attempted to clear the nasolacrimal duct, and if so, was the attempt successful?

3): Does the antibiotic seem to be helping the condition?

Thanks in advance for your reply, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Our vet irrigated the nasal and it helped. Antibiotic helped was put in eye. None lasts very long. I keep a mask on him all the time
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything I can give him orally. Looks like this issue is ongoing and I can't afford to call our vet out every week or so.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Need a answer

Thanks for getting back to me:

Unfortunately, oral antibiotics are of little help in conditions such as this. The topical ointments/drops containing both a type of cortisone and antibiotics are the best way to directly treat the eye in this case. I know that this is a frustrating condition for the both of you! As far as your initial question concerning a decongestant, there is a product called Tri-Hist, that may help. This is only available through your Vet, and is a powder that is given orally. It can often be of significant help with allergies, etc., and I’d recommend discussing it with your Vet.

As this condition has been present for some time, there is also a very distinct possibility that the nasolacrimal duct has narrowed due to the constant inflammation/infection, which is most likely why it doesn’t stay open following the flushing.

I’d recommend definitely keeping it up with the eye medication, and talk to your Vet about the Tri-Hist. Hopefully the both of those will help give him some relief!

I trust I’ve been of some help to you, but please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions.

Many thanks,

-Dan C., DVM.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM