Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.

I own a 6-yr old quarter horse. I have had some behavior

Customer Question

I own a 6-yr old quarter horse. I have had some behavior problems with him over the last 18 months- 3 random bucking fits. I have noticed recently that although his poop is not runny he is discharging a liquid that is staining his tail. I am at a loss to know what might be causing this and wonder if it may be a digestive issue that sometimes causes him discomfort. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 month ago.

Greetings, and thank you for your question. Sorry to hear about Smokey’s current behavior/digestive conditions. Yet, to answer your question, there is a good possibility that Smokey is experiencing a stomach ulcer. Stomach ulcers are very common in horses, and are often exhibited by the behavior that you have described. The only way to accurately diagnose an ulcer is through the use of an endoscope, passed through the nose and into the stomach, where the possible ulcer than can be viewed.

There are multiple products on the market for the treatment of ulcers (Gastrogard, etc.), and many are only available through your Veterinarian. One remedy that has worked well for me in multiple cases is to administer 60cc of Aloe Vera gel (available at natural food stores), mixed with ¼ teaspoon of slippery elm powder. I normally recommend administering this twice daily for a period of ten days.

Of course, nothing is better than a thorough exam by Smokey’s Vet, to be sure that this is indeed an ulcer and not some other possible issue, which I do recommend that you consider.

I trust that this has been of some help for you, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

-Dan C., DVM.

Hi Ruth:

Just checking to see if you have any further questions.

Thanks again,

-Dan C., DVM.

Hi Ruth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM