Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

He seems to be unable to retract his penis. It doesn't look

Customer Question

He seems to be unable to retract his penis. It doesn't look swollen. He's eating and drinking normally. He has been with a trainer so I don't know how long this has been happening
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Dallas. He is 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dallas?
Customer: He has hives and is on an antihistamine but no other issues.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. If the penis is sticking our of the prepuce, but not swollen, you can try to put a little lubricant and pull the prepuce over the penis.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is just dangling. I can't pull any part over another part

That typically means that there is something keeping the penis from retracting. Sometimes hair in the prepuce can cause this. Are you not able to pull the prepuce forward?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's never been easy to handle in this area. He requires full sedation to clean his sheath. Is this a medical emergency that I should be calling the vet out? I'm supposed to go to an even tomorrow. Should I cancel?

If there is any question that the penis is stuck out of the prepuce it would be better to have him evaluated sooner. If he is going to need sedation to evaluate his penis, then it would be best to take him to an emergency clinic, so that they can safely sedate him.

I apologize profusely, I thought you were talking about a dog. I will opt out so that an equine veterinarian can help you.

Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr Weaver, I am an equine vet. Hopefully the problem has already resolved, but I was checking in to see if your horse was still experiencing problems with his penis?