Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

What would be the reasons for a bilateral nasal discharge,

Customer Question

What would be the reasons for a bilateral nasal discharge, greenish and thick, a temp of 101, and not knowing if this is a normal temp for this horse, and all other bodily functions/behavior are normal. No other symptom other than the discharge. It is slight, maybe 2 tbls/day.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to make a correction to my question. It is unilateral, and not bilateral.
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear that your horse is not feeling well. Rule outs for unilateral nasal discharge include dental disease (an abscessed tooth root most commonly), sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses which may be infectious or allergic in origin), a nasal tumor (this may be benign or cancerous but is generally rare), a fungal or bacterial infection (rare to common depending on the area you are in). As dental conditions are the most common, you should schedule an appointment for your vet to come out and do a sedated oral exam with dental x-rays. Does this address your question today? Please let me know if you need more information.