nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have extensive experience in all species.

Can mushrooms kill a horse

Customer Question

Can mushrooms kill a horse
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, mushrooms can theoretically kill horses. That said, due to the horse's size, the mushroom has to be very toxic (ie Destroying Angel) or they need to eat quite a few. Generally speaking, we don't see this often since horses will only graze mushrooms if their pasture and feed is so poor that they are desperate. So, it is possible and there are clinical reports of horses being poisoned with mushrooms but it is very uncommon.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )