nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have extensive experience in all species.
60269376

Mini horse ate acorns she seems off with her gait but is

Customer Question

Mini horse ate acorns she seems off with her gait but is still eating and drinking but not normal amounts
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now the signs you have reported are not unexpected when acorns are ingested. That said, we need to tread with care if Diva has had quite a bit. This is because not only can this cause gut upset and lethargy; the toxin in acorns can also damage the kidneys and liver. The onset of these more serious signs can be delayed (up to a week), so we need to keep a close eye on her. In the meantime, to be safe, it would be ideal to have her vet treat her with fluids to keep her hydrated but also flush this toxin from her system and limit harm. Of course, if she had a high dose, fluids may need to be given at high doses and a blood sample tested to determine if damage has occurred. If it has, then organ supportive treatments can be started to limit this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )