Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

Horse gave birth and foal managed to get through fence and

Customer Question

Horse gave birth and foal managed to get through fence and was standing by wooden sleigh at my first sight. I did get foal and mom together, mom is smelling foal but foal doesn't seem interested
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Sunshine 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sunshine?
Customer: Sunshine is one of a team - Sunshine and Toni that we purchased two years ago. My husband is outside with Sunshine and I believe he was told Sunshine and Toni had never given birth. Toni is due any day, also. I mainly watch so I'm not very good with terms, etc. Sunshine and Toni had been neglected and had sore feet and would barely walk when we bought them. They both recovered and bred late last summer. Sunshine has four white socks. I think the foal needs to eat but doesn't know how and the foal thinks the wooden cart is the mom. We have the mom and foal in a round pen now.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 5 months ago.

Hello there, this is Dr Weaver, I am an experienced equine vet. I am sorry for the delay in response. I am sorry to hear that the foal got separated from the mare, do you know when the foal was born and how long they were separated? It is very concerning that the foal isn't nursing, foals are very fragile and can deteriorate quickly without milk, and also they need to get that first milk in order to get all the antibodies from mom. I would recommend you get your vet out as soon as possible to evaluate the foal, and possibly milk the mare and give her the milk via a nasogastric tube. Until you can get a vet out, place a halter and lead on the mare and make sure she is held still while someone else encourages the foal to find the teats.

How are mom and baby doing?