Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

Ate cracked corn. Doesn't seem to be having any oroblem,

Customer Question

Ate cracked corn. Doesn't seem to be having any oroblem
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the horse will be able to digest that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Corky 14 miniature stud. And a female 12 named peekaboo who has a month old colt.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about peekaboo?
Customer: Just minatures. I don't think they got too much as it is in a plastic garbage can so it's tall
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Sounds like your little guys had quite an adventure getting into food bins. Cracked corn is usually fed as a supplement to provide energy to horses kept in stalls or in times of poor grass on pasture. Corn itself will not hurt them but the amount of corn they ate may cause some colic or stomach upset. Monitor them for signs of colic but as long as they are doing well you do not need to do anything else. I would be more concerned if the corn was moldy or contaminated. That could put them at risk for aflatoxin exposure and make them very ill. As long as the corn was stored properly and mold free, they should be fine in the long run. If they are displaying signs of colic, they should be examined by a veterinarian to make sure that they are not experiencing trouble for a different reason aside from the dietary indiscretion they had today.

Was I able to answer your question satisfactorily today?