horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country

11 yr old gelding sore in hindquarters, stands camped out,

Customer Question

11 yr old gelding sore in hindquarters, stands camped out, doesn't extend penis to urinate. I've had him beaned and adjusted by chiropractor twice. was a barrel horse. has knot in the muscle behind his withers bilateral
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Handsome Jack
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: He has been barefoot for 2 yrs and is flatfooted, so I had shoes put on him. previous owner (Dec. 2015) said he flipped over while she was ponying colts off him and hasen't been right since
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 month ago.

Hello there, I am an equine internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help. A few possibilities exist for why Handsome Jack is exhibiting signs of discomfort when urinating. The first thing I would recommend is to rule out blockage in his urinary system. Sometimes horses will develop urinary stones, which can cause discomfort anywhere from the kidneys (close to the back area), to painful urination as stones pass from kidneys to ureters to bladder to urethra. If possible to collect some urine, you could have that analyzed by a veterinarian. I would also recommend calling your local veterinarian out to pass a urinary catheter to check whether he has a blockage or not. If this possibility is ruled out, he should be examined for discomfort in the hindquarters. Your veterinarian can help by performing a thorough physical exam and potentially some bloodwork to rule out musculoskeletal disease. Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have any further questions.

Expert:  horsemed replied 1 month ago.
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?