DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

Can a swollen sheath cause mild leg swelling?

Customer Question

can a swollen sheath cause mild leg swelling?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Yes...if your horse's sheath is very swollen, that swelling can migrate into the hind legs as well. The key is to find out why the sheath is swollen- bug bite, irritated or inflammed sheath, infection/cellultis? Does he have a fever? Is he acting uncomfortable? If he has a fever or seems painful then you really need to see a vet to find out what is going on and find the right treatment. If he is acting normal, you can try cleaning his sheath and exercising him to help the swelling go down. You can also sweat wrap the leg overnight to help as well.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.