Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinary Surgeon

I am considering puchasing a show jumping horse for my

Customer Question

I am considering puchasing a show jumping horse for my daugher. The horse is rising 14 y/o and has a sarcoid on his chest about the size of a 50 cent piece. I am uncertain of exactly what kind it si though at this stage.This horse isnt cheap so i was wondering, is the worst case cinario life threatening to the horse or will it just be one of those things that needs contunual treatment.
Thank you
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry you are in this predicament and it is a commonly encountered one.

I have performed pre-purchase examinations on many horses and following discussion with many equine vets on the subject, the advice given to the examining vet is to fail the horses examination immediately if a sarcoid is present. Sarcoids are a mysterious tumour and they can behave erratically and treatment can be difficult. They are a potential can of worms that will leave you with a horse that is unable to be ridden or is very costly in terms of attempting to remove/improve the sarcoid.

If you are spending a lot of money on the horse, and albeit nothing in life is guaranteed, I would walk away and look for a horse that doesn't have any issues from the offing.

Good luck

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

No problem! I hope it was of some help

Good luck with the search.

Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Angela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan M.