Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.

My arab nare has a hoarse neigh, a sporadic cough, and

Customer Question

My arab nare has a hoarse neigh, a sporadic cough, and yellow snot. She is swollwn behind her jaw and up towad her ears, but the swelling is receding somewhat.. She is eating and drinking, and running -literally- around the pasture. She is off, though-I knowher.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Kenzie, 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about kenzie?
Customer: My other horse had a slight cough about four weeks ago, but got over it. A horse from my workplace has strangles, but I really don;t think this is strangles-she has never been to my job, and while my other horse has, he shows no issues. I am careful about not weaarai g the same boots bak and forth
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 2 months ago.

Good evening, and thank you for your question.

Based on what you have described concerning the condition of Kenzie, I would take no chances pertaining to a possible Strangles situation, and have her seen ASAP. Strangles is a highly contagious, serious disease, and not something to be ta***** *****ghtly. Even though Kenzie was not at the barn, the bacteria can easily be transferred. It is easily picked up through the air and the environment, and carried via clothing, shoes, basically anything that was near the infected horse.

Please don’t take a chance with this disease. Have Kenzie checked out immediately!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

-Dan C., DVM.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM