Erin Brown
Erin Brown,
Experience:  Owner at Brown Veterinary Services

My 12 year old mare has a funny looking belly, she looks

Customer Question

My 12 year old mare has a funny looking belly, she looks pregnant with the foal laying low in her, she is not pregnant. She is acting and eating fine, I only have round bails for hay, with no grass, she gets alfalfa pellets with her grain in her evening feedingm my other 2 mares get the same feed they look fine. I live outside of Houston tx and it is very hot and humid.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Erin Brown replied 2 months ago.
If there is zero chance she is pregnant then most likely she has a hay belly. The large colon is full of hay and feed and can make them look wide. You can also treat her for sand by feeding sand clear per label instructions. If you have a sandy area that she grazes on she could very well have some sand sitting in her colonDr. Erin Brown