Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

My horse has gashes cuts on both hip bones

Customer Question

my horse has gashes cuts on both hip bones
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning, and thanks for the question.

Sorry to hear about your horse’s problems with the gashes on his/her hip bones. I’m happy to help, but I need a bit more information concerning the condition, so I can get a better picture as to what might be going on.

1): How old is your horse, and is it male or female?

2): How long have the gashes been present, and are they causing problems (infection, lameness, etc.)?

3): Have you been treating them in any way, and if so, how?

4): Does your horse have any difficulties while getting up or lying down?

5): Is there any possibility that you could attach a photo or two of the gashes? That could be extremely helpful as to how to approach a solution or treatment.

Thanks for your time, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.

Just needed to let you know that I will be away from my computer until later this afternoon, out working. I’ll check for your response as soon as I return.

Thanks,

-Dan C. DVM

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
gelding 11yrs week old normally not there im concerned that maybe lameness issue but dont know yes spray with hydrogen peroixde then sometimes antibiotic ointment daily he has problems getting up and sometimes down extreme long legs and on slight slant ground will try and get pics

Thanks for getting back to me. My apologies for the delay in my response, I just got in for the day and saw your reply.

Yes, if you could get some photos, that would be extremely helpful!

Normally, when there are sores on the hips, it is often related to difficulty in getting up and down, or from lying on one or the other side too much. Much like bedsores in people.

Do the sores seem to be responding to your treatment? Have you noticed if they seem to get irritated when he is rising or lying down? Do you have much of a fly problem where your horse is housed?

Also, does your horse have any history of lameness problems?

Thanks again, and I’ll be looking forward to your reply.

-Dan C., DVM.