horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country

I have a barrel horse who has competed for years and has

Customer Question

I have a barrel horse who has competed for years and has been a top notch horse. But for months he isn't turning the first barrel, I had several vets treat or look at him and he has had routine injections, plenty chiropractic care etc. I have noticed he is carrying his head different, so I switched directions on him and he seems to me to be having an issue tracking or focusing in on object at the faster speed, how do I proceed to get him looked at
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about the performance issues you've been having with Critter. Unfortunately, often times you have to run through the most common issues and rule them out one-by-one for non-specific signs like these. It's great you've already ruled out musculoskeletal issues. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend having a vet check his teeth, his eyesight, and his neck for soreness. If all this comes up normal, I would recommend investigating for gastric ulcers. I've seen a lot of athletes who have decreased performance from the discomfort of gastric ulcers. The best way to get him checked would be to bring him into a referral clinic to get him scoped. You could also get some bloodwork done at the same time to rule out something systemic. These are the items next on my list given that you've ruled out a lameness. Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have any further questions!

Expert:  horsemed replied 2 months ago.
Hi Nancy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Critter. How is everything going?
Expert:  horsemed replied 2 months ago.

Hello, just wanted to check if you received my answer? Please let me know if I was able to answer your question, or I would be happy to continue the discussion with you if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please don't forget to "accept" the answer as experts only receive credit for our time once we receive feedback. Thank you.