Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.

Drooling and she throws up maybe a half pint of clear

Customer Question

drooling and she throws up maybe a half pint of clear liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the horse eat anything unusual?
Customer: no food
JA: What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: whisper probably about 10 yrs old
JA: What is the horse's name?
Customer: whisper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about whisper?
Customer: i am watching the horse for my wife. i am no expert on horses. they eat mostly in the pasture in ohio and it has a lot of weeds in it
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she does not show any other signs of distress
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 2 months ago.

Greetings, and thank for the question:

Based on what you are describing concerning Whisper, she is experiencing what is known as “choke”, or in other words, she has some feed blocked in her esophagus. Although this is not a severe, life-threatening condition at this point, and is not uncommon, it is something that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

Quite often, as horse can clear a choke on it’s own, however it is best to have a Veterinarian examine the horse and manually clear the feed by using a tube passed through the nose and into the esophagus. In the majority of cases, chokes are easily cleared, depending on the material that is lodged (such as pelleted grains, etc.). An important reason to have a choke cleared as soon as possible is to help reduce the risk of aspiration pneumonia, caused by the horse accidentally inhaling the liquid into her lungs, introducing bacteria.

I would strongly recommend that you contact Whisper’s Vet ASAP, as the sooner that a choke is cleared, the less chance there is that a complication may occur.

Do not allow Whisper to eat any further food until the choke is resolved, as that can only worsen the situation.

I do trust I’ve been of some help, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best:

-Dan C., DVM.

Here is a bit more thorough information concerning choke, just to help.

Thanks again, -Dan C., DVM.

Just wanted to let you know that I need to be offline for about an hour. I will check to see if you have any further questions as soon as I return.

Please let me know how Whisper is doing!

-Dan C., DVM.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM