nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have extensive experience in all species.
60269376

I have a 10 YO Oldenburg gelding. I just received a fecal

Customer Question

I have a 10 YO Oldenburg gelding. I just received a fecal analysis that tested POSITIVE for strongyle type ova at a count of 1,500/gram using the McMaster Technique at a sensitivity of 100 eggs/gram.
How do you recommend I treat him?
thx
p2c
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now how to approach this properly will depend on when you collected the stool sample. If it was taken and analysed before the Ivermectin was used, this wormer may clear the burden (and a 2nd sample could be analysed to ensure that was the case). Otherwise, if the sample is since treatment and thus a sign of treatment failure (though if it was given today, this is unlikely), then we'd want to use an alternative wormer. Those we would use in this situation include Fenbendazole (which can be used as a paste, liquid, or medicated feed) or Albendazolesince both can be used with Ivermectin. Just to note since you used the Ivermectin today, we'd avoid Moxidectin since it is the same drug class and there would be risk of interaction. But again if the Ivermectin was given since the results, we'd not rush to re-worm unless we have a 2nd positive sample.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )