Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

I also have an equine shoulder dislocation in a horse that

Customer Question

I also have an equine shoulder dislocation in a horse that had a bad fall. His leg was x-rayed and wasn't broken, but in 48 hours, it is obvious that the left shoulder is swollen and he is bearing weight on the other three legs and very uncomfortable with the left.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: We have UCDavis close, but he would never be able to get in the trailer and stand for the 45 minute trip.
JA: What is the equine's name and age?
Customer: His name is Flambey; he is an athletic Arabian, and he is 15
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flambey?
Customer: He is otherwise healthy, but he turned quickly from his yard to his stall and really tumbled down - I think he must have been caught in the doorway.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry but at this point, with all of the swelling, it will be hard to know if the shoulder is dislocated or the swelling is just from the trauma of the fall and subsequent hemorhage causing this swelling. I am hoping that your vet has Flambey on strong antinflammatory medications and pain relievers that will help decrease this swelling. You will have to get a mobile vet to take another xray but this may require the larger machine at UC Davis to know for sure. If the shoulder has been luxated or disclocated, it will require surgery to resolve this because it has been too long.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****