Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

My horse had a small sore on her p from what i thought rub

Customer Question

My horse had a small sore on her hip from what i thought rub on a roll now it has grown to about 4" wide and appear to become infected? I have put antibacteria cream on it without success?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There is a good chance that this lesion has become infected or developed into an abscess. The best thing to do is to apply hot compresses to this area every 4-6 hrs which will help draw any infection to the surface. In between, apply an anti bacterial ointment such as Neosporin every 8 hrs. If this is an abscess, pus will come from this and then you flush this with peroxide every 8 hrs to clean it out and it will heal. If your horse is older, this could also be a mass or tumor that has ulcerated and if this is the case, the above treatment will not be effective and your vet will have to remove this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not agree that his the reason for the sore. I will consult my vet. Since I am satisfied I do not believe I am to be charged.