Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice
94743805

My gelding, 16, has this swelling in front s sheath on s

Customer Question

My gelding, 16, has this swelling in front his sheath on his belly, like a "y" shape...it is hard and now his sheath is swelled. I treated as a bug bite, but it is not better...been 3 days now. Tonight, it's hard and spread towards his barrel. No reaction to my handling it. No other visible reaction. My vet way booked. Now I'm concerned it's not a bug bite...any info?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is Dr Emily Weaver, and I am an experienced equine vet, and I hope I can help. It does sound like your gelding is having an allergic reaction to something, most likely it is a bug bite, especially this time of year. Has he had any fever? How have you been treating it so far? Do you have any bute or banamine you can give him?

Cold hose the area for 20-30 minutes, and take on a 10-15 minute walk to see if you can get that swelling to go down.

Sometimes insect bites can lead to an abscess, but it is rare. Symptoms would include fever, depression, and the swelling will continue to get worse, and be hot and may travel along the ventral abdomen. They may become lame as well. Definitely needs to get seen ASAP by your vet if you suspect an abscess.

It sounds like this is just a bad reaction, if you have tried bute or banamine and it is still getting worse, your horse may need something stronger, like dexamethasone. Which you would need to get your vet out to examine him and prescribe it.

Hi Msrjorie,

How is Major doing? My goal is to provide complete staisfaction, and if you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, please feel free to use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic, you can request me again.

Sincerely,

Dr Emily

Hi Msrjorie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Major. How is everything going?

Dr Emily Weaver