Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

She appears normal but her breathing is shallow and

Customer Question

She appears normal but her breathing is shallow and approximately 60 breaths per minute. Her breathing is audible while she is grazing. There is no sign of distress and this has gone on quite a while. It does get better after a good rain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 14.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aris?
Customer: She had a very severe respiratory problem about 2 years before I bought her. Vets who have looked at her recently can't detect any abnormal lung sounds.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual for horses that have had a serious respiratory problem to develop scar tissue that would cause this noise. It may be in the upper airways and will not harm Aris. This scarring may be more intense when there are more irritants in the air and that could be why it clears after a rain. Since no airway noises are detected by your vet, that means that this is most likely in the upper airways. There is not anything that can be done but as Aris ages, she may develop COPD which can be treated by your vet if it comes to that.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****