Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

My new horse of 7 weeks or so has a rippling of the skin

Customer Question

My new horse of 7 weeks or so has a rippling of the skin with shedding gray skin in same places. Called vet out treated for gnats - got better with meds but not totally disappearing of ripples. Got severely worse little later with edema and could hardly walk. Got diff vet out and lots of steroids, banamine, other anti inflammatory, rx daily shampoos, allergy testing, initial labs with first vet showing something was high? But not serious. Got better after a week and no riding. Never went away but got better and vet said ok to have some ripples which she said ripples are fluid. Worse again with so many ripples and gray skin shedding. Vet coming out tomorrow. Have spent over $1K so far. I am beside myself. Before this horse had another horse here on trial and she developed ripples and didn't get her. Thought it was that horse.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr Emily, I am an experienced equine vet, and I hope I can help you out. Do you think you can send me some pictures of your horse's skin? It does sound like some type of allergic reaction, do you have an allergy testing results back?

What part of the country are you in?

What parts of her body are affected?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am unable to get the pic through

I am sorry you are having trouble with the picture, you should be able to add it as an attachment here by clicking onto the paperclip button once you download the picture to your PC. If you used a cell phone for pictures, you could email it to yourself then download to your PC?