Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.

She has a sore on her under belly that I have been spraying

Customer Question

she has a sore on her under belly that I have been spraying vetericyn on for almost a week, but just wont heal. so I thought she might need an antibiotic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: oh sorry, she is a 1100lb horse
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: well, she is a pet, but it is a horse
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Flo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Flo?
Customer: when I got her, she was abused and had a severe case of rain rot all over took me months to get it cleared up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about Flo & her non-healing wound. At this time of year, wounds on the underbelly are actually quite common. Caused by many different things, most often these sores & wounds are due to allergies, or infestation with a parasite called a Hebranema fly ( also known as Summer Sores).

If you think this might be the case, I would deworm Flo with a full dose of Ivermectin orally & redose in 2 weeks.

Definitely use fly protection on the area & try another antimicrobial on the wound instead of the Vetrycin. I like EquiSilver wound spray which is available online from various sources. Manuka Honey has also become very popular for wound healing, too.

Another cause for a non-healing wound might be a condition called Pythiosis, or it might even be a sarcoid, both of which need veterinary attention. So, if the Ivermectin treatments, fly preventative, & EquiSilver does not begin to heal the wound within 2-4 weeks, or it appears to be getting worse, please have your veterinarian out to take a look.

I hope this makes sense & has addressed your concerns. Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda