Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

Horse is standing up but cannot walk. Left front leg is held

Customer Question

Horse is standing up but cannot walk. Left front leg is held stiff and slightly out. He'll reach with his neck for balance but wlll not attempt to move.Yesterday he was fine. He is on a senior diet (same food for past 3 yrs) and cannot access himself. He is barefoot. Breathing appears regular but you can tell he is distressed.I saw him at first kind of buck forward, and my first thought was he got a foot tangled in wire, but such is not the case.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I could not see a wound on foot or leg
JA: What is the horse's name?
Customer: Zuni
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zuni?
Customer: No
\
JA: Huh?
Customer: No sorry. xtra keystroke.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for your horse, Zuni, is that he has either injured a disc in his neck or back that is blocking the nerve supply to other muscles. This can happen by just moving the wrong way or aggravating an already present arthritis especially if Zuni is older. This can be treated with strong ant inflammatory medications such as Banamine or steroids but xrays would be required to know for sure. There is also a possibility that Zuni has developed an Encephalitis which is an infection in the spinal cord that is blocking the nerve supply.

The first thing to do is to have your vet run blood work and start on anti inflammatory medications to see if there is an improvement. If not further dianostics will be required to help Zuni past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does; thank you Doctor. My vet is not able to see him until Friday at the earliest. I've noticed he puts no weight on the left front but there is no heat or swelling; he lets me pick up the foot. I see nothing on the sole. The left front is tucked in to his chest, and his hind legs are placed well under his body. Every few seconds he shifts his weight from one hind leg to the other. He can kind of pivot around the left front. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable given the symptoms?
Thank you!

If you can find someone with Butazolidin , give Zuni 2 gms twice per day. Many horse people will keep this or Banamine on hand for emergencies. This will help until your vet is able to examine Zuni and run tests. Hope he will be ok!!

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta