Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

A friend brought a sick horse to my property, now one of

Customer Question

a friend brought a sick horse to my property, now one of mine is sick. runny nose, temp, croupy cough. my horses have all been vaccinated. could be just a cold, flue? I just started giving a sulfa and trimethoprim drug 800/160 14 pills 2x day.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Good job! It is not unusual for another horse to be brought to a new place where your horse has not been exposed to this infection that the new one has and thus, your horse does not have any immunity against this infection. The vaccines cover some upper respiratory diseases but not all and the recommended treatment for an upper Respiratory infection is Trimethoprim Sulfa given every 12 hrs according to the dose. Be sure to isolate these 2 horses from the others if there are others and in most cases, this will resolve quickly. If it does not and the horses manitain fevers, you must have your vet run tests to determine the best course of treatment for both horses involved.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Donna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Black. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta