Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.

What does sypmtoms of founder look like in Mammouth

Customer Question

What does sypmtoms of founder look like in Mammouth Donkeys?? These are both bred, due in 3 weeks Got into a bag of organic layer pellets, most of it, Id say 30 lbs _+ One of the Jennets was foundered long before I got her approx 8-9 yrs ago or more. They also got some rabbit pellet,18% They have been getting quite a bit of grain and soaked alfalfa cubes, 3-4 lbs ea of Seniuor extruded. and a sccop of sweetr feed, 12 % What signs do I look for if they got enough to founder? They also have access to pasture. Pls. advise
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am dr A, and woudl love to help. are you available to discuss?

Expert:  Doctor.A replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about the mischief that your Donkeys got into! signs of founder include tenderness in the foot (displayed by leaning back on the rear legs, treading side to side, pointing a foot or feet, and reluctance to pick one up and stand on the other).

Other things to look for are heat in the hoof compared to the others, and increased digital pulses (this one may need your vet to help you with in person).

Expert:  Doctor.A replied 3 months ago.

If a horse is foundering, putting hoof testers on their toe will also elicit a strong reaction.

Expert:  Doctor.A replied 3 months ago.

Is there anything else i can answer for you?

I hope things go well!

Expert:  Doctor.A replied 3 months ago.
Hi Marilyn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy, Lucy. How is everything going?
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 3 months ago.

Was this helpful? can i answer anything else for you?