Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

What should you do with a filly trotter that urinates while

Customer Question

What should you do with a filly trotter that urinates while racing
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning, and thanks for the question:

I must say, that I have never heard of this particular problem previously! Of course, keeping the driver from getting wet would be helpful, but that doesn’t quite give us a solution. I’ve a few questions for you, so that I might get a clearer picture as to what is occurring.

1): How long has Mallwoman been exhibiting this behavior?

2): Does she seem to urinate and pass manure normally otherwise?

3): Does she change her gait, speed, focus, etc. while she is urinating while on the track?

4): Has she ever been seen by her Veterinarian for this condition?

Thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Since she started training. Yes everything about her urinating and passing manure is normal.Yes she loses speed probably because she loses focus.Everyone says the same they have never seen this before.

Thanks for getting back to me.

There are several possible reasons that I can think of that may be contributing to Mallwoman’s problem. Stress or an anatomical/neurological condition.

As far as stress, does she seem relaxed, enjoying her work, or was she difficult to train, somewhat resentful, etc.? Were there any type of uncomfortable issues during her training (uncomfortable experiences, etc.)? If so, the stress of performing may be a contributing factor.

If you don’t believe that this is some type of psychological/behavioral problem, you might consider a thorough exam by her Vet. There is an anatomical condition in which the vagina is, in a sense, “larger” than normal, and urine can collect on the vaginal floor. This is known as “urine pooling”. If this is the case (and I’ll grant, it’s a longshot…) this can be surgically remedied. You may also consider having her Vet check her neurological function throughout her entire hindquarters. She may have a neurological deficit, which prevents her from holding her urine until she desires to urinate. Neurological deficits can cause a weakness in muscle tone and if one is present, may be affecting her urinary bladder and urethral function.

So yes, like everyone else, I haven’t encountered this type of problem! The above are my suggestions for you, as far as a few possibilities as to why Mallwoman is exhibiting this behavior.

I do hope that I have been of some help, but please feel free to ask any further questions.

All the best,

-Dan C., DVM.