Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

I own a 30 yr old gelding. Out of the blue s throat is very

Customer Question

I own a 30 yr old gelding. Out of the blue his throat is very swollen and firm to the touch and his tongue is also. No fever, blood work normal eating and drinking. Bute has been given twice a day for one day now no change in the swelling.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  drgdvm replied 4 months ago.

I would recommend you have your veterinarian come examine your gelding, as a throat/tongue swelling suggests some kind of localized inflammatory reaction. Any chance your gelding suffered some kind of trauma to this area, and now has a foreign body lodged within his subcutaneous tissues somewhere? Also, do you have other animals on your property, and if so, are any of them showing signs of illness similar to your gelding? Again, I would strongly recommend having your veterinarian come examine him, sooner the better.