Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

My mares leg just keeps giving way and it's worrying me!

Customer Question

Hey pearl my mares leg just keeps giving way and it's worrying me! Help!!!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there's no wound on the foot. It seemed sore when I touch the knee area.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your horse?
Customer: She is 5 and she's a weird shape. We'
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning, and thanks for the question: So sorry to hear about your mare’s problem! I need to get a few more details from you so I might be able to help you figure out what may be happening.

1): What breed is your mare, and how long have you had her?

2): You mention that she’s a “weird shape”. Can you explain, please? Is this something new as well, or has she always been like this?

3): Is she having problems with a front or back keg?

4): How is she doing otherwise, as far as eating, drinking, attitude, etc.?

5): Is she housed with any other horses?

Thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dan, Hannah is a stockhorse. I've owned her for about 3 months, don't know her history.
Weird shape?? Rotund around middle but
skinny at wither,
underdeveloped / inadequate rump bulk.
Problem leg is right rear... seems to focused at back of knee.
Otherwise eating drinking normal ... but becoming cranky.
She is in a paddock with others ~ 7

Good Morning, and thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your responses and thorough answers. Reading what you have told me so far, brings up a few more questions concerning some specifics about Hannah’s knee.

Firstly, however, as far as your overall description of her shape, it sounds as if she may be under conditioned. How did you acquire her? Do you know anything of her previous use, or did you rescue her? Internal parasites can often play a large role in body condition. Has she been de-wormed recently? If not, you might consider having a fecal analysis completed to assess her parasite burden, and if her teeth haven’t been examined, she may be in the need of some dental work. Also, if you are riding her (is she broke to ride?), some light work several times a week (or daily, if you have the time!) will help to improve her muscle mass and get rid of the big belly. If she is not rideable, I’d recommend just starting with some basic groundwork. What are your plans for her as far as use?

What does her diet consist of, including any supplements, vitamins, etc.?

And back to her knee! Is this something that has been present since you have had her? In what type of circumstance does her knee collapse? Does it actually seem to give way, or does it appear to lock up, where she can’t seem to move it? Does it affect her running, trotting, etc.? Is there any notable swelling around the knee, or in the kneecap area? Are her hooves in good shape?

Thanks in advance for your answers, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.