Joan
Joan, Vet Tech.
Experience:  Vet Tech of over 30+ years and I have also owned horses for most of my life.
5071285

I had my eye on a horse that was sold and returned to seller

Customer Question

I had my eye on a horse that was sold and returned to seller for being "short of wind". Said to be allergies. He is a gorgeous buckskin with all other attributes I am looking for. What could be the problem? Should I keep looking elsewhere or consider him? I am over 60 and not likely to gallop into the sunset but don't want a sick horse either
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the horse?
Customer: he is 11 yr. old, QH type, 15.1 hand went through a sale (auction)
JA: What is the horse's name?
Customer: let's call him Buck
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a Horse owner for over 45 years.

A horse that has any wind obstruction or breathing issues is called Wind broke. In a case like this I would have your Vet out for a soundness examination, before making any decisions. I personally would be hesitant and not go on hearsay that it is allergies. There are too many things that can cause obstructive breathing and shortness of breath. The Vet bills can be astronomical if an serious obstructive disease like Asthma.

I would call in a reputable Equine Vet of your choosing, for an independent Soundness exam and if need be to check the bronchial passages. Better to check prior to buying than being stuck with major issues later.

https://www.vetstream.com/ownerinformation/horse/equus_respira.htm

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan