Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

I have a 17yr old quarter horse gelding that I have owned

Customer Question

I have a 17yr old quarter horse gelding that I have owned for 3yrs now. Last august we moved him home. We have about 10 acres of pasture with a fresh brook running through. There were dairy cows in the pasture when we moved him that had all received proper vaccinations prior. All was well and the cows were gone that fall so my man has been alone since then. We fed round bales and the cows and horse all ate together. There are now piles where they ate(and pooped) of leftover hay in pasture where my horse will lay. In the last month he has developed sores on his legs and belly. The vet I had out said she thought it was reaction from the bugs but no big deal. Keep him sprayed. They are round in different sizes and are blood raw for the first day then turn to a yellowish crusty then scab over. He is itchy but they don't seem to hurt him. Any ideas will help. Thank you!
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 4 months ago.

Greetings, and thanks for the question!

I’m sorry to hear about Elton’s condition. Fly/insect bite reactions can become sever if a horse has a high sensitivity to them. Some horses have more of an allergic response than others, and unfortunately, it sounds as if Elton may be one of the unlucky ones, with a high sensitivity. I’d like to ask you a few questions concerning Elton, so that I may give you a thorough answer.

1): Where are you located, and what has the weather been like?

2): Is the pasture where Elton is living irrigated?

3): What type of insect sprays have you been using, and do they seem to be effective?

4): Do the sores from the insect bite seem to be healing, or are they increasing in number, getting worse, etc.?

5): Is there any possible way that you could get some photos of the sores and send them to me (that could be extremely helpful)?

Many thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.

Has Elton experienced this problem previously, or is this the first time that he has had such a severe reseponse?

Good Evening: I just needed to let you know that I’ll be signing off for the evening, however I will be checking for your response first thing in the morning.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.

Good Evening!

Just checking in to see how things are going with Elton. Has he been improving since you initially posted your questions?

Please let me know if you need further help.

-Dan C., DVM.