Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

Miniature donkey- not eating, laying down. She is pretty

Customer Question

Miniature donkey- not eating, laying down. She is pretty fat, and we have had alot of rain so her pasture is plentiful
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the horse. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Chloe 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Chloe's condition....most likely she has foundered. I say this because ingestion of rich pasture in an overweight donkey can cause this and teh fact that she is laying down tells us that her feet hurt. This is usually in only the front feet but can be in all 4. It is very important that you start Chloe on an anti inflammatory medication such as Butazolidin at 1/2 to 1 gm every 12 hrs. Give her only straw and isolate her. If she starts rolling, call your vet right away because this could also be a colic that would require immediate treatment.

Be sure to have your vet examine Chloe as soon as possible because this condition, Laminitis, can be extremely damaging if left untreated.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta